Fisher & Paykel
Fisher & Paykel Industries Ltd was founded in 1934 by Sir Woolf Fisher and Maurice Paykel.
Initially the company was an importer of Crosley appliances, Maytag and Pilot products; in 1938 the company began manufacturing Kelvinator washing machines under license.
This followed the introduction of tariffs by the First Labour Government of New Zealand.
In 1956, manufacturing was moved to a purpose-built factory in Mount Wellington, Auckland.
The company began exporting within Australasia and East Asia around 1968.
During the 1980s the company became more focussed on research and development, resulting in the development of the ECS direct drive mechanism washing machine and highly automated production lines.